[omniORB] Patches for AIX XLC 5.0

Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:47:11 +0000

On Tuesday 20 February, "Gary D. Duzan" wrote:

>    Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the patches I posted were against
> the current omni3_develop CVS branch. xlC5 interprets the C++

Sorry -- _I_ wasn't clear. This afternoon I updated the version in CVS
to contain a guess about what the patch should now contain.

> standards differently as far as whether defining a friend function
> in the body of a class definition injects the function's name into
> the enclosing scope. The draft standard I was reading wasn't clear
> on the subject, so I expect it is safer to declare an inline friend
> in the body and define it outside the class, which is what the
> patch does. It should be tested with other compilers before making
> it the default, of course.

That's why the patch is there. We know that the current organisation
works on all the compilers we target except xlC. I'm too scared to
make the change for everyone in case it breaks something else. Within
the 3.0 family I think it's best to stick with the current set-up, and
provide a patch for xlC. We'll reconsider for omniORB 4, where lots of
other things have changed.