[omniORB] NameServer capacity

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:50:58 -0500

In Message <3A9275C2.5060506@anemosky.com> ,
   Attila Pletyak <attila.pletyak@anemosky.com> wrote:

=>There is still one question: Can one nameserver bear 400.000 requests
=>consecutively? I mean I saw that the NameServer is creating newer and
=>newer threads if it gets big load. But there is a Linux op system limit
=>on the number of processes run by one user. Is the omniORB takes this
=>limit into account? Or I have to dodge it somehow?

   Dealing with that many connections might be trouble enough.
One way that you can deal with this is by having a layer of proxies
between the clients and the server. Since calls from the proxy
boxes to the real server will reuse connections, you can control
the number of actual server connections (and as a result, control
server threads) by adding proxies. For that many clients, though,
you might need quite a few. If this is web stuff, it might be
natural to have one proxy per web server.  You'll have to build
the proxies into your design, though, unless you use a different
ORB with proxy support or decide to build your own generic proxy
mechanism.
   Other design choices can help, as well. For example, if you use
a web server extension with CORBA support instead of CGI, you won't
have to start a new connection for each new CGI process, so you
might get away without explicit proxies. A lot depends on how you
plan to use it.

					Gary Duzan
					Verizon Laboratories