[omniORB] NameServer capacity

dek_ml@konerding.com dek_ml@konerding.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:36:18 -0800

Pletyak Attila writes:
>> objects from those top-level objects.
>
>There are a lot of users in a system, they are continually logging in
>and out, but at a given moment we have 400.000 on-line. We should access
>them from CGI programs (these objects are giving data to CGI programs to
>display), which are known to have a limited lifetime, so those cannot
>store the ids of the users locally.
>
>For a solution we can arrange them into 100 contexts.

Why are you using the naming service for tracking user connections?
That's not an appropriate mechanism.  The naming service is basically a
tree-based directory service while user connections tend to be a flat namespace.

You can write your own user-connection tracking IDL and servant,
and the CGIs just use the naming service to find the servant.
A simple hash/dictionary should let you look up any user in a set of 400,000
quickly.

Dave