[omniORB] OmniORB 3.0.2 on HP-UX 10.20 using gcc 2.95.2 and Python 2.0

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:40:06 -0500

In Message <200102162213.f1GMDDL21931@duzanmac.gte.com> ,
   "Gary D. Duzan" <gdd0@gte.com> wrote:

=>In Message <3owvb1m4qc.fsf@neem.uk.research.att.com> ,
=>   Sai-Lai Lo <S.Lo@uk.research.att.com> wrote:
=>
=>   If you are using Python 2.0, you can configure it like so:
=>
=>./configure  --without-gcc --with-cxx=/opt/aCC/bin/aCC
=>
=>and get a Python that works fine with omniidl and omniORBpy. It
=>passes all the type tests, though the performance tests have yet
=>to get past single longs on my D380/2. I'm not sure what is going
=>on in this case.  It isn't even taking up much CPU on either end.

   Well, it turns out that it was actually working, but really
slowly.  Here are the times for the D380/2:

single long:     2133.982566
octet sequence:  2100.00085998
octet array:     2104.16265702
short sequence:  2100.00274491
short array:     2146.62288201
long sequence:   2173.43311608
long array:      2100.01218307
ulong sequence:  2100.01479495
ulong array:     2100.01278603
ulong sequence:  2100.00914299
ulong array:     2100.01274097
double sequence: 2164.44086409
double array:    2100.01282108
double sequence: 2175.59187698
double array:    2114.03310108

while an IBM F50 332Mhz*2 manages:

single long:     5.64780700207
octet sequence:  9.23118901253
octet array:     9.17841303349
short sequence:  11.5316530466
short array:     11.4707759619
long sequence:   11.7409770489
long array:      11.5227389336
ulong sequence:  29.3214819431
ulong array:     29.2938150167
ulong sequence:  28.4953149557
ulong array:     28.5983029604
double sequence: 13.2012829781
double array:    13.0320450068
double sequence: 12.9045649767
double array:    12.853118062

on a single machine, and roughly twice the time on average between
two F50s.  If the D380 is either client or server, it seems to be
taking time comparable to the run on the D380 itself.
   Just a "heads up" for anyone looking at trying to do lots of
calls on an HP. Note that this is with HP-UX 10.20. I would hope
that 11.0 would perform better.

					Gary Duzan
					Verizon Laboratories