[omniORB] omniORBpy, corbaloc, and object id/keys

Cary O'Brien cobrien@Radix.Net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:02:09 -0500 (EST)

Ok, I've got omniORB and omniORBpy working ok, at least I can
creat my own simple services and clients.  Next I want to stop
copying IORs around and use corbaloc to specifiy the remote objects
that the client connects to [1].

I have the server listening to a fixed port[2], so I know all of
the uri except the "object key".  In reading the documentation
I find I need to use a POA named "omniINSPOA" so that I will have
human-readable "object id".  I've done this.  So I guess I'm using
a POA that uses the USER_ID policy.

My question is simply how do I specify the "object key" or "object id"
that can be used with a corbaloc uri to access the object?

I have dug through the documentation, source, and mailing list
archive, dumped out a bunch of IORs, tried gussing, and still haven't
found an answer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

-- cary

[0] OmniORB 302/OmniORBpy1.1/Linux/Intel/GCC

[1] Ok, I know I could use omninames or omnimapper, but I like to do
things one step at a time so I don't get confused.

[2] Is there a way to do this other than appending strings to the
argv passed to CORBA.ORB_init()?  Just wondering.