[omniORB] Garbage collection

Mike Mascari mascarm@mascari.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:38:39 -0500

Hello.

I have a session-oriented application which uses an object factory to
generate a transient session-specific object for each client connection. I
have read Michi Henning & Steve Vinoski's book regarding the various
tecniques of garbage collecting the servants when a client dies
unexpectedly, but none seem too pleasing. One of the methods they refer to
is the use of ORB proprietary extensions that allow the server code to
detect when a connection from a client goes down. Does omniORB have such an
extension? If not, what do people find the most reasonable way to garbage
collect session-specific servants after a client dies?

Thanks for any information,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com