[omniORB] the _dispose() function of the objects

Pletyak Attila attila.pletyak@anemosky.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:22:39 +0100

I send the following message again as I did not get this back from the
omniorb-list server.

Thanks for your answers.

Why we are using omniORB 2.8?

We are using omniORB 2.8 because we started to use it during a running
project and up to this time we did not really have time to check if the
actually running projects are running under 3.02 or not.

Regarding the memory problem. I did not mention one thing: around 12
hours passed after the _dispose() called on the first 1000 objects, and
the memory usage stood where it was before the usage.

It can be that the reference is stored on the server side and it is not
released, I have checked the change of the _ptr to _var on
the server side, but with that we got an even worser sit, the objects
actually not generated any more.
I changed the following:
BImpl * myB = new BImpl(paramters);
to:
B_var myB = new BImpl(parameters);

So I really do not know now. Is it a big deal to change to omniORB 3.02?
Is it compatible from above?

And I have an other question regarding the capabilities of the
NameServer: our project should run around 400.000 objects concurrently.
The lifetime of one object is the last activity plus a pre-configured
time (eg. 30 minutes). So at a given moment we can have half a million
objects running. Can the NameServer bear such a load? We need it to be
fast with this load.

Attila Pletyak