[omniORB] Server causes segmentation fault, but no core file

Mike Mascari mascarm@mascari.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:18:20 -0500

Hello.

I am new to both CORBA in general and omniORB specifically. I have a server
application which, after a period of inactivity on the client side, causes
a segmentation fault on the next method invocation. I have tried everything
I know to get the server to dump core, but can't. I have set the core limit
to a very large number via ulimit -c. I have run the server from /tmp under
the assumption that maybe it can't dump to the directory in which it was
executed. I also tried running it as root. As for the nature of the
segmentation fault, I am still at a loss. The tracing looks like this:

[mascarm@corvette linux2]$ ./server -ORBtraceLevel 10
omniORB: gateKeeper is tcpwrapGK 1.0 - based on tcp_wrappers_7.6
omniORB: Initialising omniDynamic library.
omniORB: Initialising incoming rope factories.
omniORB: Starting incoming rope factories.
omniORB: Activating: root<0>
omniORB: Creating ref to local: root<0>
 target id      : IDL:mascari.com/StoreManager:1.0
 most derived id: IDL:mascari.com/StoreManager:1.0
omniORB: Creating ref to remote: key<0x4e616d6553657276696365>
 target id      : IDL:omg.org/CORBA/Object:1.0
 most derived id:
omniORB: Initial reference `NameService' resolved from configuration file.
omniORB: Creating ref to remote: key<0x4e616d6553657276696365>
 target id      : IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0
 most derived id:
omniORB: Creating ref to remote: root/<67108864>
 target id      : IDL:omg.org/CORBA/Object:1.0
 most derived id: IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContextExt:1.0
omniORB: LocateRequest to remote: root/<67108864>
omniORB: strand Rope_iterator: delete unused Rope.
omniORB: strand Rope_iterator: delete unused Rope.
omniORB: tcpSocketStrand::~Strand() close socket no. 9
connect from ferrari.mascari.com
omniORB: Handling a GIOP LOCATE_REQUEST.
omniORB: tcpSocketStrand::~Strand() close socket no. 8
omniORB: throw omniConnectionBroken from tcpSocketMTfactory.cc:1058
omniORB: tcpSocketStrand::~Strand() close socket no. 9
connect from ferrari.mascari.com
Segmentation fault

This is omniORB 3.0.2 on Linux RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15), using the
downloaded binaries. I'm attempting to use thread-specific data. Is there
something perhaps wrong in the way the thread is being destroyed?

Thanks for any information,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com