[omniORB] omniorb + mod_python + apache

David Konerding dek@cgl.ucsf.EDU
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 16:14:36 -0800

David Konerding writes:

>Hi, folks,
>
>I have been checking the omniorb archives and I'm seeing some
>conflicting messages on whether or not I should be able to use
>omniorb with mod_python+apache.  Although I'd prefer to use apache 1.3,
>if only 2.0 is capable of working, then I can use that.  I'd especially
>like to hear whether people have actually gotten this to work, rather
>than just "it *should* work".

Hi, folks, just replying to myself:

I didn't get any immediate responses so I decided to try it myself.
I got pretty far with Python 2.1, mod_python-2.7.6, and Apache 1.3.22, and
so far as I can tell it is working.  First thing I had to do was patch
Python 2.1 according to the bugfix mentioned in the mod_python faq
(unrelated to OmniORB).  Second, I recompiled Apache with the -pthread
flag.  Other than that, all the standard instructions were followed.
Without the -pthread flag the python interpreter appeared to lock when
initializing the ORB.  With the above I was able to connect to my naming
service and make queries; I haven't tried anything more complicated or any
concurrent requests on apache.  Well, OK, I tried one pair of concurrent requests
and they seemed to work.

Dave