[omniORB] omni3.0.4 on HPUX - more probs

Harri Pasanen harri.pasanen@trema.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:24:24 +0100

Kevin Williams wrote:

>> There appear to be some fairly serious incompatibilities
>> between Python and HP-UX. For example, I cannot even get
>> Python-2.1.1 (the latest version) to build on HP-UX 11.00
>> out of the box without modifying the generated Makefile
>> substantially.

Python 2.1.1 does build for HPUX 11.00 when using gcc 3.0.2.
There is the final link that needs to be done by hand though, if python is
built with --enable-threads  (which is required for omniORBpy, but probably
not just for omniidl).

> Strange - I built Python-2.1.1 on our HPUX 10.20 system without any issues
> that I can recall.  It appears that I used the native HPUX compiler to
> build it (not GCC) along with the changes noted in OmniORB's README.hpux11
> file.
>
>> The makefile for the backend seems to have an alternate
>> method for linking omniidl on HP-UX. However, it needs
>> a library called libpython<version> which does not exist
>> and is not built by the Python make system.
>
> Again - strange.  I have a libpython2.1.a that was built when I built
> Python - I don't recall having to do anything special to get it.
>
> My omniidl works fine, but recall that I built it using the HPUX native
> compiler, then plugged it (as well as the _omniidlmodule.sl that was
> built) into a fresh omni304 source tree and used that to do my OmniORB
> build with GCC...
>
>> I can't spend any more time on this right at the moment.
>> I hope to come back to it later if no one else figures it
>> out.
>
> Yes, would be nice for OmniORB to build on HPUX with GCC as easily as it
> does with aCC...
>
> -- Kevin Williams
>    Visionael Corporation
>    kwilliams@visionael.com

I think there are major problems with C++ parts of gcc 2.95.2 on HP-UX -
mainly related to exception handling.    gcc 2.95.2 is not even officially
supporting HP-UX.

gcc 3.0 2 does support HP-UX 11.00 a bit better, but still has problems with
omniORB,  crashing during compilation of poa.cc.

I've filed a gcc bug report 4351 which you can view at  in internal
http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

>From the above mention report, gcc 3.0.2 dies when compiling the following
code fragment on HP-UX 11.00.

 class Exception {
 public:
   virtual void _raise() = 0;
   inline Exception() {}
   inline Exception(const Exception& ex) {}
 };

 class AdapterAlreadyExists : public Exception
 {
   virtual void _raise();
 };

 void AdapterAlreadyExists::_raise() { throw *this; }

I've ported omniORB to KAI C++ on HP, but I would rather be using gcc.  So
far I haven't had any luck,  even after investing considerable amount of time
to it.

-Harri