[omniORB] activate_object_with_id races?

Mike Ladwig mike@twinpeaks.prc.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:34:00 -0500

On Tuesday 04 December 2001 13:00, you wrote:

>   omniORB 4 has a much cleaner way of detecting this
>   issue, and its message is
>
>   Attempt to activate an object while it is already being
>   activated. Are you calling activate_object_with_id() inside
>   incarnate()?
>
> it then throws ObjectAlreadyActive, rather than deadlocking.

OK, I see.  With this message, I would have immediately realized it was my
fault.

> When you give the object to the CosPer loader, does it have to have
> the same object reference as it will have later when it has been fully
> activated?

Yes - the object key tells the PDS what backing store to use.

> If you do have to use the same reference for the loader, I'm not sure
> what the best thing to do is. There isn't any easy way to permit
> activations inside incarnate with the new scheme, and my reading of
> the POA spec is that there is no requirement to do so.

Yuk.  It will be a while before I have the time to implement the new
persistence specification (which I pray sucks less than POS) and rewrite my
codebase to use it.  Could the new behavior possibly be made a compile- or
(preferably) run- time option, at least in omniORB 3?

> Cheers,
>
> Duncan.

mike.