[omniORB] omni3.0.4 on HPUX - more probs

Kevin Williams KWilliams@visionael.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:02:56 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C17CED.E6F1BC60

> There appear to be some fairly serious incompatibilities
> between Python and HP-UX. For example, I cannot even get
> Python-2.1.1 (the latest version) to build on HP-UX 11.00
> out of the box without modifying the generated Makefile
> substantially.

Strange - I built Python-2.1.1 on our HPUX 10.20 system without any issues
that I can recall.  It appears that I used the native HPUX compiler to build
it (not GCC) along with the changes noted in OmniORB's README.hpux11 file.

> The makefile for the backend seems to have an alternate
> method for linking omniidl on HP-UX. However, it needs
> a library called libpython<version> which does not exist
> and is not built by the Python make system.

Again - strange.  I have a libpython2.1.a that was built when I built Python
- I don't recall having to do anything special to get it.

My omniidl works fine, but recall that I built it using the HPUX native
compiler, then plugged it (as well as the _omniidlmodule.sl that was built)
into a fresh omni304 source tree and used that to do my OmniORB build with
GCC...

> I can't spend any more time on this right at the moment.
> I hope to come back to it later if no one else figures it
> out.

Yes, would be nice for OmniORB to build on HPUX with GCC as easily as it
does with aCC...

-- Kevin Williams
   Visionael Corporation
   kwilliams@visionael.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C17CED.E6F1BC60

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [omniORB] omni3.0.4 on HPUX - more probs </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; There appear to be some fairly serious =
incompatibilities </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; between Python and HP-UX. For example, I cannot =
even get </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Python-2.1.1 (the latest version) to build on =
HP-UX 11.00 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; out of the box without modifying the generated =
Makefile </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; substantially.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Strange - I built Python-2.1.1 on our HPUX 10.20 =
system without any issues that I can recall.&nbsp; It appears that I =
used the native HPUX compiler to build it (not GCC) along with the =
changes noted in OmniORB's README.hpux11 file.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The makefile for the backend seems to have an =
alternate </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; method for linking omniidl on HP-UX. However, =
it needs </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; a library called libpython&lt;version&gt; which =
does not exist </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; and is not built by the Python make =
system.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Again - strange.&nbsp; I have a libpython2.1.a that =
was built when I built Python - I don't recall having to do anything =
special to get it.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My omniidl works fine, but recall that I built it =
using the HPUX native compiler, then plugged it (as well as the =
_omniidlmodule.sl that was built) into a fresh omni304 source tree and =
used that to do my OmniORB build with GCC...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I can't spend any more time on this right at the =
moment.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I hope to come back to it later if no one else =
figures it </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; out.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yes, would be nice for OmniORB to build on HPUX with =
GCC as easily as it does with aCC...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- Kevin Williams</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; Visionael Corporation</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; kwilliams@visionael.com</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>