[omniORB] Timeout of _non_existent ?

Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:13:22 +0100

On Tuesday 14 August, "Tim Ward" wrote:

> I'm using _non_existent to get some sort of guess as to whether a remote
> server is running, interpreting "true" as no, "false" as yes an any
> exception as "haven 't a clue" (which in practice for our OmniOrb
> installation actually means no).
>
> Trouble is that _non_existent takes some time to give up and throw the
> exception.
>
> Usually this is a second or two, which is fine, but sometimes it is several
> minutes.

This tends to occur when there is still a process "listening" on the
port, but it's in a state that it can't reply. You see it, for
example, by suspending a server with Ctrl-Z on a Unix platform.

You can use the -ORBclientCallTimeOutPeriod argument or
omniORB::callTimeOutPeriod() to get a COMM_FAILURE more rapidly. See
section 8.3 of the manual.