[omniORB] >>= operator for type Any - where is it?

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB@RJRT.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:11:10 -0400

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

Jonathan,

Note that when you compile with the -Wba switch under omniORB 3.x that it creates another file with a DynSK.cc (or DynSK.cpp on the
Windows platform) suffix.  That's where you should see the marshalling and unmarshalling(*) operators defined.

HTH,

Bruce

(*) IMHO, it's better to use the terms marshalling and unmarshalling for the >>= and <<= operators to any rather than extraction and
insertion to avoid confusion with the iostream operators.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Maton [mailto:jmaton@viztek.net]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 2:50 PM
To: OmniORB List
Subject: [omniORB] >>= operator for type Any - where is it?

I'm at my wits' end and hopefully someone can point out what I'm missing...

I want to use the "any" type and I want to extract members from it.
I've read the documentation and it states that using a -Wba flag with
omniidl will generate the code for the extraction/insertion operators.  I
see in the resulting .hh file the function signatures for
  void <<=    (two of these, and)
  CORBA::Boolean >>=     (also two of these)
and in the SK.cc file I do indeed see the definitions for the two insertion
("void <<=") operators.  I cannot, however, find the definition for the two
extraction operators anywhere, and this is driving me crazy.  Trying to
compile in MS Visual C++ 6 I'm getting the error message:
--
error C2678: binary '>>=' : no operator defined which takes a left-hand
operand of type 'const class CORBA::Any' (or there is no acceptable

Any help or obvious oversights on my part?

Thanks.
Jonathan Maton, Development Team
Viztek, Inc.

makers of the Onyx-RAD suite of medical software
(teleradiology, PACS, and DICOM)

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary--