[omniORB] is there an omniORBpy mentor out there I can bother until I get up to speed?

Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:12:49 +0100

On Saturday 11 August, "Ray Feodoroff" wrote:

> So, I'm a bit vague on how to complete the configuration with the glib
> detail in the user manual.  The domain nomenclature is still foreign, of
> course, so what do I put in the registry or the configuration file as the
> "naming service reference"?  What is the file extension for the
> configuration file?
>
> If I were to use "corbaname:" where exactly would I use it? and what would I
> be using for the URI?

I don't know what you mean by "domain nomenclature". Put an entry of
the form

  ORBInitRef NameService=corbaname::myhostname

either in the Windows registry or a file called omniORB.cfg, replacing
"myhostname" with the name of the machine running omniNames.

The configuration file is traditionally called omniORB.cfg, but
omniORB doesn't care what you call it, or what the extension is. If
you use a file, just the OMNIORB_CONFIG environment variable to the
full path name of the file.

> Regards the echo example, I ran the omniidl program against the idl file.
> Now what?  I ran example_echo_srv.py (as a guess) and then ran the
> equivalent client file in another dos window.  It didn't appear happy.  I'm
> missing something simple I know.

You must give the IOR string that the server printed out to the
client, on the command line.

  example_echo_clt.py IOR:...lots of hex digits