[omniORB] Question on conection management

Timothy Docker timd@macquarie.com.au
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:03:04 +1000

My simple mental picture of the omniorb connection management model is

   1) Connections are opened to a remote process whenever a
      request is made and there is no idle connection to that
      process.

   2) Idle connections are closed after a certain period by some sort
      of reaper thread.

My application needs to make requests on a fairly large number (approx
100) of remote machines sequentially (ie a single request is made to
each machine). On Solaris the default file descriptor soft limit is
64, which means that I start getting COMM_FAILURE exceptions for when
connections are opened after the first 60 or so.

I've worked around the problem by upping the soft limit to 200. But is
there a better way to force connections to be shut down immediately,
given that I know that I will only be making one request on each one?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Docker                               timd@macquarie.com.au
Treasury and Commodities Division