[omniORB] Timeout of _non_existent ?

Tim Ward timw@lsl.co.uk
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:22:24 +0100

I'm using _non_existent to get some sort of guess as to whether a remote
server is running, interpreting "true" as no, "false" as yes an any
exception as "haven 't a clue" (which in practice for our OmniOrb
installation actually means no).

Trouble is that _non_existent takes some time to give up and throw the
exception.

Usually this is a second or two, which is fine, but sometimes it is several
minutes.

How do I stop it taking several minutes? - if there isn't an answer in a
second or two I'm happy to assume that the server in question is dead.

(I suspect I can spawn a new thread for each _non_existent call and simply
do my own timeout and forcibly terminate the thread when I get bored with
waiting, but:

(a) it's a lot of work
(b) I'd want to be reassured that forcibly terminating threads that are in
the middle of OmniOrb calls doesn't do any damage.)

Thanks

Tim Ward
Brett Ward Limited