[omniORB] FYI: /etc/hosts on Linux

lou_liz@iafrica.com lou_liz@iafrica.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:38:19 +0000 (GMT)

Just something I have encountered, that I thought I'd let you know:

I could run my clients on any platform, but my naming service and servers
didn't work on Red Hat linux (which should've been named Dead Rat linux for all
I care).  The servers, as well as omniNames did run, but they failed to make
any connections.  -ORBtraceLevel 25 only reported "Scavenger: scanning for
connections" without ever connecting.

My network is so small that use IP addresses instead of computer names.  In my
$OMNIORB_CONFIG file, I had "ORBInitialHost 192.168.0.1", while my /etc/hosts
file contained just "127.0.0.1 localhost"

In desperation I switched from omniORB to ORBacus (against my will, mind you),
and I got the same error.  A trace revealed "gethostbyname() failed" !  I
reported this to the ORBacus mailing list, end got the reply that I should
indeed add the relevant computer names to the /etc/hosts file, BEFORE the
localhost entry.

I did that and ORBacus worked!  Then I switched back to omniORB and it also
worked!

Regards.

Lourens Janse van Rensburg
Systems Engineer
Vizier Systems
Somerset West
South
Africa

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/