[omniORB] the .mk files

Richard Hardgrave hardgrav@ttd.teradyne.com
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:06:35 -0500 (CDT)

> From owner-omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com Thu Aug  9 02:12 CDT 2001
> Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:28:38 +0530
> From: "Vibhu  Rishi" <vibhu.rishi@wipro.com>
> To: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
> Subject: [omniORB] the .mk files
>
> hi folks
>
> I wanted to know where I can get more information about the .mk files ?
>
> I tried to write a simple CORBA application and made a simple makefile,
> but that gave problems with the included files as there was some
> platform dependencies that failed. Then I looked at the example
> directories and came across the .mk files. I am not able to figure out
> much of these files. So could anybody point me in the right direction ?
> Are these files some Python scripts ? ( I do not know anything about
> Python).

Hi Vibhu,
	I went through what you're going through, about two months ago.
You don't need to know anything about Python, but you may need to get
a recent version (2.0) downloaded from a website that's referenced in
one of the READMEs.  Above all, _read_ all of the READMEs relevant to
your platform, especially the ones in $TOP/doc.
	Since linux isn't too much different from Solaris, here's what
I use for initializing my shell variables any time I'm in a window I'll
need to build/run CORBA applications with:

-------------------

#!/bin/ksh
#
OMNI=/export/disk1/corba/omni
OMNINAMES_LOGDIR=/export/disk1/corba/omni/omni/log
OMNIORB_CONFIG=/export/disk1/corba/omni/omni/config/omniORB.cfg
#
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/export/disk1/corba/omni/omni/lib/sun4_sosV_5.5:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#
PATH=/export/disk1/corba/omni/omni/bin/sun4_sosV_5.5:/export/disk1/corba/omni/mybin/bin
:$PATH
#
MANPATH=$MANPATH:$OMNI/omni/man
#
alias make=/opt/gnu/bin/make
#

I, not being familiar with GNUmake, had to go to the OSF website to
download the GNU Make Manual. It's extremely useful.

Also, I've seen plenty of messages on this email forum all about
getting the correct version of gcc coordinated with the particular
version of linux you are using.  You'll have to get that information
from someone else.

Good luck,

Richard