[omniORB] Experience with converting BOA code to POA?

Jonathan Maton jmaton@viztek.net
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:11:02 -0400

> i haven't done that.  just wondering, given that omniorb suport both BOA
and
> POA, would it be easier to take advantage of it and skip the convertion.
>
> - jd

Well,  as we add new code we will certainly be using POA-based code.  So as
the application grows, it will have increasing amounts of POA-based code but
always retain that bit of BOA code.  Is it efficient to have both a POA and
a BOA running?  Wouldn't it be better to convert everything to POA?

Paul Nader's OmniEvents uses the BOA in his examples (upon which I am
building).  I needed to have my push_supplier also accept direct messages
from the push_consumer, so I put in the POA-based code into the
push_supplier so that he can register himself with the Naming Service, and
then put the POA-based code into the consumer so that she can get his object
reference from the Naming Service, and then communicate directly with him.

As it stands, I have both POA and BOA code running, but I would like to
convert everything to POA.  Problem is, I don't entirely understand some of
the BOA calls (like _impl_is_ready(boa)  and  _obj_is_ready(boa)) as they
related to POA calls.  That's why I'm looking for some help.  :)

-Jonathan
Jonathan Maton, Development Team
Viztek, Inc.

The NEW leader in Teleradiology, Mini-PACS and
Full PACS Software, FDA Approved!