[omniORB] Interop with VisualAge Java/WebSphere 3.5

baileyk@slxi.com baileyk@slxi.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:47:05 -0500

I had good interop between omniORB3 and IBM VisualAge Java 3.02's Java ORB,
but after upgrading to VisualAge 3.5, I can only use omniORB3 as a client
and the IBM Java ORB as the server.  Trying the reverse always yeilds a
COMM_FAILURE (completed_maybe).  I did not lose interop bewteen VisualAge
and Orbix2000 after the upgrade.

After some effort, I found I can regain interop by specifying the ORB class
to be com.ibm.rmi.iiop.ORB rather than the com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.  I know
the questions vendor specific, but I doubt IBM will help me out.  It took a
lot of effort to get them to officially support interop with Orbix2000 (and
only with many constraints to the IDL allowed).  I like using omniORBpy for
prototyping and omniORB3 for quick testing on hosts with no Orbix2000
install.  Any ideas on possible causes?  What should I do to track it down?
I tried a traceLevel of 25 and didn't get much info.

Kendall Bailey