[omniORB] servant destruction and ref counting

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:10:52 -0500

hi there,

trying to hunt a bug in the berlin display server, I'm stumbling
about a servant which is not being deleted on POA destruction,
apparently because a (local) reference to it is still active.
The servant in question is a 'WindowImpl' which implements a
'Window' interface. A 'PositionalFocus' holds a reference
('Window_var') to it in a vector. It appears when I comment out
the reference assignment, the Window is deleted correctly, but
not if the Window gets focus.
Now I'm a bit confused, as I always thought servant and reference
life cycles were completely independent, no matter whether they
are colocated or not.
Am I wrong ?

On a related note, would it be possible to add some instructions
to the omni code to allow debugging of ref counting ? I'd very
much like the ability to monitor which objects (RefCountServantBase
as well as omniObjRef) hold how many references.

Best regards,	Stefan