[omniORB] Question about socket connection management in ORB

Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:14:43 +0100

On Tuesday 17 April, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> When a CORBA client and server connect via IIOP (TCP), is some kind
> of connection caching/reuse going on?  Is this an artifact
> of TAO or omniORB?  Can it be configured?  I can see some performance
> advantages for doing this vs. making a new TCP connection every
> time a new CORBA method is invoked on the same object reference.

Yes, IIOP connections are, by default, cached. Either end of the
communication can decide to close a connection at any time (except
that a server shouldn't close a connection when there are requests
pending). In omniORB, you can configure how often the ORB scans for
idle connections with command line arguments. See section 7.3 of the
omniORBpy manual (or 8.3 of the omniORB C++ manual) for details. I
don't know about TAO.