[omniORB] idl and structs

Roger Barnett rogerb@harlequin.co.uk
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:00:43 +0100

David Hyde writes:

> I've just noticed, to my horror, that IDL structs cannot inherit from each
> other (I'm busy converting an interface from a proprietary language where
> complex structures have been built up using inheritance).  Is there a
> specific reason for this?

Despite similarities in syntax, IDL is not C++ (or, indeed, a programming
language).

> Has anyone fudged their way around this?

This is difficult to answer without knowing the features of the language
you're trying to convert from.

What is it about using nested structs that causes you practical problems ?

I guess you could look at an ORB that supports Value types; alternatively,
would it be useful to design a higher-level 'wrapper' interface for your
existing code (perhaps redefining it as a service) or is it being replaced ?

Roger B.