[omniORB] configure an omniORB

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 11:54:36 +0100

On Monday 2 April, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Finally, a point I keep repeating, I would finally be able to just
> set my 'CC' variable, and 'make' would build with that, as it should
> be. Right now the paths are still hardcoded, for whatever reason.

The paths to the compiler are hard-coded since binary compatibility
between compilers, and often different versions of the same compiler,
is non-existent. We have always felt that it's better to get the user
to tell us which compiler they want, rather than basing it on guessing
or an environment variable, which might change from time to time.

The issue that Kevin Bailey mentioned about building multiple
platforms from a single source tree is actually possible with our
internal build environment. It should be relatively easy to expose
that functionality to the outside version.

My main complaint with autoconf is that it is extremely arcane, and
would put people off doing ports to non-Unix platforms. I've looked at
the autoconf manual, and I personally have no desire to ever touch
such an ugly thing.