[omniORB] configure an omniORB

Allan Wind allanwind@mediaone.net
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 01:30:17 -0400

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On 2001-04-02 23:26:24, Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> This can be done and probably should be done. However, on Linux I wonder =
if
> rpm or debian package is the more appropriate solution.=20

Personally, I would love to see binary .deb files distributed along
with source, as it makes installation (somewhat like a mature
autoconf'ed package) and maintenance a breeze.  On the other hand, you
will probably find a lot more users for a rpm package.  With both you
trade some upfront work and a bit of maintenance with a lot of
end-user convenience (for those specific distributions).

With autoconf you are probably trading in some work initially (more
platforms) for a bit more end-user convenience than the current build
system.  However, the real benefit of autoconf comes when you use it
cope with differences between variants of UNIX at a source code level.

Over the entire user base, autoconf might very well add up to more
bang for the buck (e.g. effort) than making binary packages available
for a subset of users.  It took me an evening to autoconf a small
foreign package including the learning curve, so that should not be
too bad.

/Allan
--=20
Allan M. Wind			email: allanwind@mediaone.net