[omniORB] configure an omniORB

Kevin Bailey keraba@yahoo.com
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:10:23 -0700

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 11:26:24PM +0100, Sai-Lai Lo wrote:
> From Kevin's and Stefan's feedback, seems to me the most
> wanted improvement is not so much about using autoconf but a
> configure script to ease the first few steps in choosing the
> platform, the compiler, python and the installation directory.

autoconf is for your benefit. You could write your own but I
suspect it would be more difficult, and autoconf gives your
script common options such as --prefix, --enable, and --with.

> This can be done and probably should be done. However, on
> Linux I wonder if rpm or debian package is the more
> appropriate solution.

A configure script kills N birds (including cross-platforms) and
unix platforms have the least need for pre-compiled binaries. (I
have nothing against RPMs. It's just that the effort might
better be spent for those incapable of running a configure
script.)