[omniORB] error messages

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:38:05 -0400

I'm debugging a program which produces the following
output:

omniORB: ERROR -- A servant has been deleted that is still activated.
 repo id:
      id: root<1996881920>

and I'm wondering what to make out of it. First a little detail:
why is the repo id printed at all ? As it appears, this output comes
from the destructor of omniServant. The _mostDerivedRepoId() should always
print "", as 'this' is now stripped off of everything else. So this
line seems useless.

Second, under what conditions can the above error happen ? I'm using
PortableServer::RefCountBase mixins everywhere, i.e. I never delete objects
by hand, the deletion is triggered by a deactivation. The only possibility
I can imagine is that (by accident) an object was activated twice and now one
of the associated objects is deactivated, i.e. the servant still ought
to serve another object.

In fact, the current situation in my debug session is that the respective POA
is shut down due to a killed client (we use a session based approach).

Any help would be highly appreciated !

Stefan

PS: what about a 'debug faq' with hints and tricks about how to interpret
    common error messages ?

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal