[omniORB] omniORBpy and python core upgrades to 1.6/2.0?

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:16:16 +0100

On Tuesday 5 September, Mark Borges wrote:

> Now that python-1.6 has been released, will omniORBpy work with it or
> must it use version 1.5.2? Similarly, when the 2.x series is released,
> will omniORBpy work with it? I suppose I could just try it, but
> thought it would be wiser to ask first.

Both omniidl and omniORBpy work fine with Python 1.6, and 2.0b1, with
a couple of minor tweaks. The only changes are to include file
locations and library names. I have made the changes in CVS; they're
also available through the bugfixes patch, and will appear in
tomorrow's FTP snapshot.

> Also, are there any licensing issuse with the new CNRI license that
> are a concern for omniORBpy development? Is the GPL compatibility
> aspect important?

All of the code in omniORB and omniORBpy is owned by us, so there is
no problem. I have added a note to the distribution to say that we
explicitly permit omniORB to be linked with Python.

(For the pedantic, there is actually one piece of code in the omniORB
distribution which is not owned by us -- the GNU C pre-processor. It
is only ever used as a stand-alone executable, so there is no license
compatibility issue.)