[omniORB] Need advise on how to set connection parameters

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 14:09:59 +0100

On Thursday 31 August, Stefano Santoro wrote:

>   apache server with 50 children all connected to the
>   same corba server. The connection is started in the
>   apache child init phase, and it is tore down after
>   100 or so requests in the child exit phase. Each
>   request corresponds to 1 call to a corba object
>   implemented in the server.
>
>    the calls to the server must come back within 5-10
>    seconds.
>
>  Should I set maxTcpConnectionPerServer to something
>  above 50? How about scan granularity, idle connection,
>  and call timeout periods?

The chances are, everything will work fine without any changes to the
default configuration. maxTcpConnectionPerServer is purely a client
side thing, so it won't affect you at all. It determines how many
connections a multi-threaded client is allowed to open to a particular
server process.

If your client processes are short-lived, the idle connection scanning
will be irrelevant too. When the client process exits, it will close
the TCP connection it is using, causing omniORB to clear up the
connection immediately. The idle connection scanning is only used if
client processes stay around for a long time, making no calls, or if
the processes die in a sufficiently horrible way that the TCP
connection is not closed.

Try your set-up with the defaults, and think about it again if you
find you aren't getting sufficient performance.