[omniORB] RH 7.0 beta, gcc pinstripe warning

Rosimildo da Silva rdasilva@connecttel.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 07:43:31 -0500

David Riddoch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a bogus warning.  It is perfectly legal to have a non-virtual
> destructor, and safe to do so provided you always apply the delete
> operator to a pointer to the most-derived type of the object.
>
> This _is_ the case in omniORB, and so that warning is just plain _wrong_.

David,

Sorry. I have to disagree with you here.

This warning is very important. I have seen a lot of problems,
usually memoery leaks, when developers forgot to make the
Dtor of the base class virtual.

In omniORB situation, you might be correct. But, in general this
warning is necessary.

--
Rosimildo da Silva            rdasilva@connectel.com
ConnectTel, Inc.              Austin, TX -- USA