[omniORB] Q: objects in own process

Barry Roberts barry.roberts@xactsites.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:04:11 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C03DCB.AA7BB1E4

IIRC (and someone with more experience please correct me if necessary) the
PERSISTENT lifespan policy only allows you to create an object that keeps
the same IOR even if it is destroyed and then created again.

I have done something like what you are asking about, and here's how I did
it.  There is at least one factory object running in its own process.  When
it gets a request to create a new object, it spawns a process, and passes an
IOR on the command line of the new process.  This IOR is a simple object
used to communicate between the factory/controller and the child worker
processes.  Once the child process has started and created its object, it
makes a call back to the factory with its IOR.  The factory then returns the
new object back to the process that requested it.

There are probably more elegant ways to do this, but this was easy and it
works.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernhard Schmidt [mailto:schmidt@hirsch-sachs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 7:12 AM
To: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
Subject: [omniORB] Q: objects in own process

Using omniORB 3.0.2 on NT 4.0 our goal is to create every new object
implementation in a new separate process.

I though using the lifespan policy persitant would be enough to create a
separate process activating the server object.

Has anybody a hint if I'm completely wrong or just missed a detail ?

Regards,

Bernhard

------_=_NextPart_001_01C03DCB.AA7BB1E4

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: [omniORB] Q: objects in own process</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>IIRC (and someone with more experience please correct =
me if necessary) the PERSISTENT lifespan policy only allows you to =
create an object that keeps the same IOR even if it is destroyed and =
then created again.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have done something like what you are asking about, =
and here's how I did it.&nbsp; There is at least one factory object =
running in its own process.&nbsp; When it gets a request to create a =
new object, it spawns a process, and passes an IOR on the command line =
of the new process.&nbsp; This IOR is a simple object used to =
communicate between the factory/controller and the child worker =
processes.&nbsp; Once the child process has started and created its =
object, it makes a call back to the factory with its IOR.&nbsp; The =
factory then returns the new object back to the process that requested =
it.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>There are probably more elegant ways to do this, but =
this was easy and it works.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>FWIW,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Barry Roberts</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Bernhard Schmidt [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:schmidt@hirsch-sachs.com">mailto:schmidt@hirsch-sachs.com=
</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 7:12 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: [omniORB] Q: objects in own process</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Using omniORB 3.0.2 on NT 4.0 our goal is to create =
every new object</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>implementation in a new separate process.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I though using the lifespan policy persitant would be =
enough to create a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>separate process activating the server =
object.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Has anybody a hint if I'm completely wrong or just =
missed a detail ?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Regards,</FONT>
</P>