[omniORB] Using omniORB's 3.0.1 naming service with Visibroke r 3.3

armin.gerritsen@philips.com armin.gerritsen@philips.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:54:23 +0200

>For some strange reason, VisiBroker wants you to use their proprietary=
,
>non-portable static _bind method on the NamingContext interface to obt=
ain a
>root NamingContext. Obviously, this won't work when trying to resolve =
an
>omniNames server because Visi's SmartAgent doesn't know anything about=
 the
>omniORB server. You might be able to get Visi to go the
>resolve_initial_references route by giving it the omniORB Naming Servi=
ce
>host and port via the ORB initialization parameters. I can't guarantee=

>whether it will work, I haven't tried it before. Once you get the root=

>NamingContext, everything should proceed as expected.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but there is no need to use=
 the
Visibroker SmartAgent.
I use the plain an simple omniORB namingserver - usually with Visibroke=
Java clients and C++ omniORB servers (and somethimes clients too).

I use a simple

 rootCtx.bind(fullname, obj);

to bind from my Visibroker 3.x Java clients. Here rootContext is the
rootContext of the omniORB namingserver..

The clients run of course on completely different machines (and in our =
case
even complete different countries but as it should be that doesn't matt=
er).
We use no specials initialisation params for the ORB. Just the routcont=
ext
is enough.

Or am I missing your point?

Regards,

Armin
--
Philips Semiconductors B.V.
Systems Laboratory Eindhoven (PS-SLE)

Dragsters, you can train a Monkey to drive straight.
Take a turn sometime and see if you can handle it.

=