[omniORB] compiling omniORB

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:25:40 -0400

I'm just recompiling omniORB, so I bring up a couple of
questions which never got answered:

1) [ I'm using the i586_linux_2.0_glibc2.1 platform ]
   Why are the tools (python, gcc, cpp, etc.) all specified
   with absolute paths ? I use a couple of different compilers,
   so I would very much prefer if the compiler would be referred
   to as simply 'gcc', leaving it to me to make sure the right one
   is placed first in my PATH variable.

2) is it really necessary to compile all libraries twice (with
   and without -fpic) ? I always used to build static libraries
   from objects compiled with -fpic, so a single compile run would
   suffice.

3) In much the same spirit, i.e. to reduce compile time, would it
   be possible to add a flag whether to compile BOA support in or not ?
   Since I don't use it, I don't want the COS libraries to be compiled
   two extra times...

Thanks a lot !

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld