[omniORB] LifeCycle and Other service Implementation

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:41:58 +0100

On Monday 16 October, Olivier Thiboutot wrote:

> I'm looking forward for information about IDL of the LifeCycle
> Service...

The Life Cycle service is a design pattern. It is not something which
can be provided as a separate service. It just provides a standard
(and inconvenient) set of interfaces for things to do with managing an
object's life cycle.

You should not confuse it with the omniLifeCycle support which
provided object migration facilities for omniORB 2. That provided a
means to implement parts of the standard Life Cycle service. It has
been superseded by the facilities of the POA in omniORB 3.
omniLifeCycle.idl is part of that support, and has no relevance to the
Life Cycle service specification itself.

If you want the IDL for the Life Cycle service, it is in the idl/COS
directory of the omniORB 3.0.2 distribution.

> My project consist of starting the implementation of the
> Externalization Service (if nothing fits). I look at the OMG
> description and I need reference to different service like LifeCycle
> and Relationship Service...

I have to ask why you want an implementation of the Externalization
service. It's an enormous, confusing mess of interfaces which makes
life far harder than necessary. Again, large parts of it are design
patterns in that the application programmer has to implement the
service's interfaces.

> First, omniOrb does have some mechanics for the streaming of object
> but what are the entry point for my own implementation of the data
> storage ???

omniORB does not, and cannot, have the means to stream the state of an
arbitrary object. The object implementor must write the code to do it.