[omniORB] Server hangs

Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:21:02 +0000

On Wednesday 29 November, Richard Bouska wrote:

> I noticed the same behaviour - I have downgraded the version of omniORBpy
> from 1.2 to 1.0, the omniORB I let 3.0.2. I have also python 1.5.2. on
> Debian GNU/Linux.

The bug is now fixed in CVS and the bugfixes patch. It will appear in
tonight's snapshot too. The problem was a deadlock between the Python
interpreter lock and an internal lock in omniORB. The fix is to be
more careful about unlocking the Python lock before calling into
certain ORB functions.

> My server also hanged and after several minutes disappeared from process
> list. Also I noticed that the newer (buggy) version of omniORBpy is much
> slower in the multithread operation than the 1.0.

I'm surprised that you see 1.2 being slower than 1.0. Nothing has
changed which should affect performance in any significant way, and I
haven't seen any change. What are you doing which is much slower in
1.2 than in 1.0?

I don't recommend using 1.0, since there are quite a few bugs which
have been fixed since then.