[omniORB] Sun Bug 4351366, not being fixed.

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:56:04 +0000

On Sunday 19 November, jon@totient.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Sun are not fixing the namservice 'bug' problem in Java.  (It's not
> really even a NameService bug, it's more general than that) Which
> means using omniNames 3.0 reliably from Java 1.3 is a no go.
> Especially if the object key is not 12 bytes. Like in the case of
> "NameService"
>
> Apparently it is not a bug, so they have closed it.

Their reasoning is that Java 1.3 does not support the interoperable
naming service so it's not a bug. That is, of course, totally wrong.
The IOR you get from omniNames 3.0 is a valid CORBA 2.0 IOR, and all
ORBs should support it.

Perhaps someone who uses (or wants to use) Java should submit a new
bug which does not mention INS at all. Post the bug id here, and we'll
all vote for it...