[omniORB] Using omniNames with Visibroker 4.0

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:13:56 +0000

On Friday 10 November, Tamas Morvai wrote:

> I get a segmentation fault when my server application (Visi 4.0)
> wants to bind an object to the omniORB 3.0.2 Naming Service.
>
> I started omniNames with the following parameters
>
>   -start -logdir /home/omniorb/ -ORBInitRef
> NameService=corbaname::localhost

It's nothing to do with the problem, but there is no need to use
-ORBInitRef here -- omniNames _is_ the name service, so it doesn't
need to be told where to find itself. It doesn't hurt to specify it,
though.

> Can anybody help me with it? It is a bug in omniORB or in Visibroker
> or am I doing something wrong?

It must be a bug in Visibroker. Nothing omniNames can do should be
able to crash Visibroker. One guess is that Visibroker might be
expecting the initial NameService reference to reply with a location
forward to the real root naming context. With omniNames, the
NameService reference really is the root naming context. If this is
the problem then using omniMapper might be a work-around.

You can also try running omniNames with an argument of
-ORBtraceLevel 30 -ORBtraceInvocations, to print out all the traffic
between your server and omniNames. That might give you some idea what
Visibroker is doing when it dies.

I suggest you take this up with Inprise.