[omniORB] Troubleshooting a server that is becoming inaccessible during the night.

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
09 Nov 2000 16:05:06 +0000

> The port is dynamic.  I'm letting the ORB pick it.
> There should not be another instance of my server.  There is another
> non-omniORB TCP server on the system, that is VERY busy.  Could that server
> be grabbing the port, or would this only occur with another instance of my
> server?

This is pure speculation, are you running out of sockets on your machine?
Has the other tcp server grabbed all the available socket slots?

> I wrote a small TCP server with a fixed port on my NT box with winsock, and
> tried to start it twice.  bind() fails as I would hope.  Are there situations
> in NT where this would succeed?

We use the SO_REUSEADDR option when a port is specified by the application.

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com