[omniORB] omniORBpy: persistent IORs and/or LifeCycle support?

Mark Borges mdb@jimi.nwest.attws.com
24 May 2000 09:29:54 -0700

>> On Wed, 24 May 2000 11:33:06 +0100,
>> Duncan Grisby(DG) wrote:
DG> On Tuesday 23 May, Mark Borges wrote:
>> The simplest thing that comes to my mind is to perhaps use a
>> persistent IOR; is this possible and/or feasible to do using
>> omniORBpy? (Xs is implemented using omniORBpy/omniORB-2.8.0.) I
>> skimmed the omniORB mailing list archive, but am unsure how step 2 as
>> described in:
>>
>> http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/1997-06/0021.html
>>
>> is done using omniORBpy. (Also, as this article is nearly 3 years old,
>> I'm wondering if things have changed since it was written.)

DG> If the server object really is the same object between restarts of
DG> the process it's in, then a persistent IOR is a sensible way to
DG> proceed.  Unfortunately, with omniORB 2.8 omniORBpy can't create
DG> persistent IORs. If you use omniORB 3, omniORBpy _can_ create
DG> them, using the standard POA facilities.

Yes, the server object is the same.

I guess my reluctance in building this interface using omniORB 3 is
the (perhaps mistaken) presumption that omniORB 2.8 is more thoroughly
tested and robust than the latest omniORB 3 pre-release, and the fact
that omniORBpy has only worked with omniORB 3 since March.

But perhaps for my platform of interest (Solaris-2.6/gcc-2.95.2) this
is not true; are there any remaining known problems? Is the major
"feature" lacking in omniORB 3 merely documentation[1]? Any comments
w.r.t. stability/performance of omniORB 3 vs. omniORB 2.8?

Thanks again, Duncan, for taking the time to answer -- and even
provide sample code! :-)

Footnotes:
[1]  By the way, is there any contribution we (users of omniORBpy)
     could make in the way of writing or formatting documentation, or
     submitting example code? I did see the survey request of Sai-Lai
     Lo,

       http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/2000-04/0102.html

     but was unfortunately unable to reply in time for the talk. Is it
     still worthwhile to do so?