[omniORB] Newbie Documentation question

Michi Henning michi@ooc.com.au
Tue, 23 May 2000 07:34:54 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Bruce Visscher wrote:

> Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> And, yes, I think I see what you mean about using a specific port number, but
> I've usually tried to avoid that due to the additional administration that would
> involve.  But I'll give the idea some thought.

Yes. There are three main motivations for using an IMR:

	- Getting rid of manual port number administration.

	- Getting servers started automatically.

	- Allowing servers to migrate from machine to machine without
	  breaking existing references.

> It also looks like implementing an implementation repository might not be too
> terribly difficult.

Better watch it! Turns out that the issues are many and subtle. While things
are working correctly, it's not too hard. But all the possible error
scenarios are quite complex to deal with, and some are very subtle indeed.
Don't try this unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time.

> BTW, I have enjoyed your book!

Thanks!

							Cheers,

								Michi.
--
Michi Henning               +61 7 3891 5744
Object Oriented Concepts    +61 4 1118 2700 (mobile)