[omniORB] Newbie Documentation question

Bruce Visscher visschb@rjrt.com
Mon, 22 May 2000 17:19:41 -0400

Michi,

Michi Henning wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2000, Bruce Visscher wrote:
>
> > Having just read the chapter on the POA, though, one thing that concerns me is
> > that the POA seems to rely heavily on the assumption that there is an interface
> > repository available.
>
> What gives you that impression? The POA works just fine without an interface
> repository. (I'm using it without one all the time.)
>
> > If an application uses only omniORB (which doesn't have
> > its own interface repository), what does the concept of persistence vs transient
> > really mean?
>
> Do you mean an *implementation* repository? If so, persistent references
> are still possible, by specifying a fixed port number for the server
> (with a proprietary option or config parameter) and relying on direct binding.

Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry for the confusion.

And, yes, I think I see what you mean about using a specific port number, but
I've usually tried to avoid that due to the additional administration that would
involve.  But I'll give the idea some thought.

It also looks like implementing an implementation repository might not be too
terribly difficult.

BTW, I have enjoyed your book!

Bruce