[omniORB] Linking with omniDynamic280_rt.lib

Armin Gerritsen a.a.gerritsen@phys.uu.nl
Mon, 22 May 2000 13:50:19 +0200

> I have a couple of questions related to the use of the
> omniDynamic280_rt.lib library.
>
> I have defined two files: NodeID.idl and test.cpp.
>
> The IDL does not use 'any' structures.  My understanding was that I
> don't need omniDynamic280_rt.lib in this case. However, it was
> impossible to link the files without the omniDynamic280_rt.lib
> library.
>
> What am I missing?  Is it possible to avoid linking with this
> library?  Does avoiding this library translate into any performance
> improvements?  (reduced size of the code, memory consumption, speed)

This question pops up once in a while and the answer is that ther3e is no
known way to avoid this. (If anyone knows it, please post it. :-) ).

The cause is according to At&T the VC++ compiler which doesn't remove
unneeded references properly, but I doubt if that's the whole story since
I've never ever noticed any problem of such kind with this compiler.

But in my applications, besides a small size increase, I've not noticed any
negative side effects, so I wouldn't worry to much.

Regards,

Armin

PS To AT&T: solving this matter or putting a mention in the manual would be
a great thing,since this question does pop up very frequently. :-)