[omniORB] IIOP Latency with Java

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:28:14 -0700

Running OmniORBpy with omni 2.8.0 on Red Hat 6.1 on the server side.  A
development partner is connecting to this server using JDK 1.2 ORB on NT.  We
are suffering an overhead of _exactly_ 20 milliseconds on each call (it almost
feels like a strobe).  This overhead does not manifest itself on omni/Linux
talking to omni/Linux remotely.  We tried Visibroker/Java on NT with the same
result.  Does anyone know what might be causing this?  It feels like a config
error because all the benchmarks we've seen of Visi/client to omni/server seem
blazingly fast.  The input parameters as well as the return values are all
simple strings.

Any ideas?  Trolling the list archives turned up murmurings of "TCP_NODELAY"
and similar posible solutions, but it wasn't clear that they were applicable
to our current situation.

I know sample code always helps.  Unfortunately, since we're dealing with a
development partner it is easier to first see if this rings a bell with
anyone.  If not, I'll try to work out some minimal code that illustrates the
problems.

Thanks.

--
Uche Ogbuji