[omniORB] Compiling omniorb

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
15 Mar 2000 09:57:42 +0000

> After several attempts I finally got somewhere with compling omniorb on Win95. omniORB2d.lib and
> omniORB2.lib were both created. It was now time to create the DLLs when /bin/sort not found came
> crashing down from the gnu utility. Could anyone advise me on how to prevent this error from
> occuring.

> By the way the sort utility was installed as a part of the gnu utility.

>I've seen a similar probem with a gnu configure script and sort, turned out
>the sort.exe being used was the MS$ one, due to a path error. The MS$ one
>works but will ony take it's input via indirection (<) not as a command line
>arg.

The reason why the full path name /bin/sort is used is to prevent the
shell from picking up sort.exe from MS resource kit which many people have
on their path.

The reason why Dayton got this problem '/bin/sort not found' is because he
has not set-up the Gnuwin32 mounts properly. My guess is he has not run
checkmount.cmd (on win95, just rename it to checkmount.bat and run it as
Neeraj Bhatia has suggested 2 days ago on this list).

After checkmount.cmd is run, if you invoke the Gnuwin32 program 'mount',
you should see something like this:

C:\>mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
c:temp           /tmp                native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
c:\gnuwin32\bin  /bin                native      no-mixed,text!=binary
c:               /                   native      no-mixed,text!=binary

C:\>

As you can see, the Gnuwin32's idea of /bin is actually c:\gnuwin32\bin.
If you haven't got this mount point, the shell won't be able to find
/bin/sort.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com