[omniORB] Compilation

Belcher, Jim belcher@inquiregroup.com
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:40:25 -0500

This was a fresh download from your site, attempted on
two separate computers, following the
compile directions contained in the README.unix document.
Basically all is says to do is to go to src and type
make export. Since there were binaries in the download,
is there some other step I need to do to prepare for
the compilation?  The GNU compiler is version 2.95.2
and was a fresh compile itself, with --enable-threads set.
I also had this problem with the 2.91 compiler, thus
the new 2.95.2 compile.

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Grisby [mailto:dgrisby@uk.research.att.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 7:03 AM
To: Belcher, Jim
Cc: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: [omniORB] Compilation

On Monday 13 March, "Belcher, Jim" wrote:

> While trying to run the naming service for the first time,
> I got an error that stated that cerr was the wrong size,
> suggest relinking.  So I attempted to build the entire
> package and got the following error:

The wrong cerr size thing is caused by using incompatible versions of
the C++ library, most likely due to using a different compiler version
to us. Recompiling everything is the right thing to do.

> make[2] Entering directory /var/omniORB_2880/src/lib/omniORB2
> if ["Naming.idl" != Naming.idl] then cp Naming.idl . ; fi
> ../../../bin/i586_linux_2.0_glibc/omniidl2 -a Naming.idl
> make[2] *** [Naming.hh] Segmentation fault.

Are you sure that you started to build everything from scratch?  It
looks like you might be using the pre-compiled omniidl2. Just to make
sure everything is clean, I'd advise downloading the source
distribution and compiling it from scratch.