[omniORB] OmniORB Preformance comparisons

Chris Ingrassia chris@sasami.net
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:02:07 -0800 (PST)

	Hi -

	Forgive me if these topics have been covered elsewhere, but a
quick search of the FAQ and Mailing List archives did not provide me what
I was looking for.

	I'm interested in moving a lot of back-end systems to a CORBA
solution, it looks like I'm going to be using OmniORB to do so, but there
have been concerns raised that CORBA is portable and generally pretty
useful, but the tradeoff is speed.

	The preformance data comparing OmniORB against other ORBs seems
impressive enough, but I'm interested in comparing it's
"real-world" preformance against DCE RPC, specifically.  We could
potentially be doing anywhere between 5-20 operations a second through the
ORB, and DCE RPC preforms admirably, but I'd like to ditch it in favor of
CORBA.

	I was wondering if anyone on the list had moved from DCE RPC to
an omniORB solution, and how would you compare the two in terms of
speed?  Should I be prepared to see our applications run a bit slower, or
is it completely a non-issue?

	Thanks in advance,

--
-Chris