[omniORB] Reserved word "factory"? / Wide strings

Lars Immisch lars@ibp.de
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:34:06 +0100

> > Do you know where the CORBA 2.3 specification can be found? It must be
> > somewhere on the OMG web site, but searching there for it will be
> > difficult.
>
> See http://www.omg.org/library/c2indx.html

I've found it: ftp://ftp.omg.org/pubs/docs/formal/99-10-07.pdf.gz

> > > omniORB does not yet support wstring. No version ever has.
> >
> > Do you plan to introduce wstrings in the near future?
>
> It depends what you mean by "near"!  We will support wchar and
> wstring, but it is likely to be a while. Supporting them is far from
> easy since there are all sorts of code set conversion issues.

Thanks; we've found an old email from Sai-Lai explaining some of this. Do you
reckon it would be difficult to write an initial version that restricted itself
to transmitting UTF-16 (or UTF-8)?

I do realize that this would ve non-interoperable with other ORBs.

Thanks a lot,

Lars