[omniORB] enum checking?

Bartosz Klimek bartekk@ics.agh.edu.pl
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:43:57 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Saroj Mahapatra wrote:

> > > Does anyone know if CORBA requires an ORB to check the validity of an enum
> > > passed as a parameter?
> > >
> > > Whether or not CORBA requires this, does omniORB do this?
> >
> > I don't think the GIOP specification requires that an ORB checks such
> > things. omniORB does check, however. I would imagine most ORBs do.
>
> Orbix does not!

I've had different experiences with Orbix. It wouldn't pass an invalid
enum. I just didn't initialize an enum field of a big structure because I
didn't need to in that particular case. I spent hours :( on looking for
the error...

Anyway, I think it is a nice feature of ORB to check enums. One of things
I like CORBA for is that I can assume that the data I get from the remote
object is correct, at least at the low level.

Regards,

---
Bartosz Klimek

Distributed Systems Research Group