[omniORB] omniORBpy and JPython

Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:53:03 +0100

On Friday 23 June, "Carlson, Andy" wrote:

> Has anyone looked at what would be required to make omniORBpy work in
> JPython. The main snag is that omniORBpy uses C++ modules for its low level
> implementation. JPython cant call these directly but the JPython web site
> says that it is possible to use them by writing a JNI Bridge.

I'm afraid I don't think this is likely to happen. omniORBpy doesn't
just use the Python/C API a little bit -- it uses it a lot.
Essentially everything you do in omniORBpy involves a great deal of
interaction with the C API. The marshalling functions have to be able
to read and create Python objects from C++. You only have to look at
the ratio of C++ code to Python code in omniORBpy to see that a great
deal would have to be changed to support JPython.

That said, the basic design of omniORBpy, and the layout of the stubs,
could probably be used to create a JPython ORB, based on a Java ORB.
There's a small (!) project for someone.